WE Learn is open and taking new students! After a long hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will be restarting our after school program on Tuesday, February 22, 2022.
WE Learn is the educational arm of Urban Ministry. The mission of WE Learn is to foster and cultivate changemakers from the West End community, to enable elementary aged children to reach their full academic potential, and to provide skills and training to young adults interested in elementary education.
Our vision is to change the face of after school programs for urban and under-resourced communities in Birmingham by offering a structured, inclusive curriculum that meets the needs of diverse student populations, encourages community engagement, and builds trust and pride in the local community.
What we offer:
- After school academic enrichment
- Tutoring and homework help
- Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math (STEAM) enrichment activities
- Opportunities for problem based learning (PBL)
- Daily snack
- Transportation home after programming
At WE Learn, we value academic excellence, intellectual curiosity, community, respect, and inclusion.
Our goals are to:
- Increase student academic achievement
- Mentor young adults from West End with an interest in early childhood education
- Provide a positive volunteer experience to the members of our community
- Provide academic enrichment and student success through utilizing Project Based Learning (PBL) and STEAM principles (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math)
- Increase parental/guardian support and family involvement
Program Fees: $10/week or volunteer your time at least four (4) hours per month to Urban Ministry. If the fee is a hardship, please do not let it discourage you from enrolling in the program! Contact us and we can work with you.
Want to help WE Learn? Volunteer! We are always looking for volunteers, age 19+, to help with our after school enrichment on Mondays and Fridays. You will have the opportunity to tutor students, help with homework, play games with children, provide supervision during academic instruction/activities, and serve as a role model for the future leaders of the West End community.
Call or email Marilyn Williams, WE Learn Director, for more information about volunteering! Reach out at [email protected] or 205-781-0517.
Does your child or someone you know attend Hemphill Elementary School in grades 2-5? If so, we’d love to have them in our afterschool program! Enrollment is open!